Celebrate National Watermelon Day
Summer is upon us — and no fruit is more quintessentially summer than the watermelon. Feeser’s wants to help you celebrate this iconic fruit on National Watermelon Day. No matter your business, your customers will love a watermelon-themed celebration paired with recipes featuring our favorite juicy fruit.
When Is National Watermelon Day?
Who doesn’t crack open a watermelon during the dog days of summer? It’s only appropriate that National Watermelon Day takes place every year on August 3.
Fun Facts About Watermelons
Before giving you a few tips on how to honor the irresistible watermelon, here are some fun facts to help you appreciate it even more:
- Watermelons are technically berries.
- There’s a reason for all that juice — watermelons are over 90% water, which explains the name, too.
- Watermelons have undergone countless mutations over thousands of years to become the sweet fruit we enjoy today.
- People have been savoring watermelons for over 5,000 years.
- The first recorded watermelon harvest was depicted in ancient Egyptian hieroglyphics.
- Watermelons were placed in the burial tombs of kings to nourish their afterlife. Seeds were even found in King Tut’s tomb.
Ways to Celebrate National Watermelon Day
Want to celebrate the summery goodness of watermelons this National Watermelon Day? Here are a few ideas to try in your restaurant, hotel or commercial kitchen:
- Host a picnic featuring fresh-cut watermelon.
- Hold a watermelon-eating contest or seed-spitting competition.
- Create a signature cocktail, margarita, smoothie, sherbert or beverage concocted from watermelons.
Unique National Watermelon Day Recipes
Make the most of National Watermelon Day with a unique recipe featuring this fantastic fruit. You can stock up on the ingredients you need to craft a signature watermelon creation with Feeser’s. Here are a few ideas to get your wheels turning.
Fresh Watermelon and Feta Salad
Salty, sweet and irresistible — fresh watermelon and feta salad has it all. This sweet and savory salad takes only a few minutes to prepare for #nationalwatermelonday.
You will need a large mixing bowl and the following ingredients:
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of red wine vinegar
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- 3 cups of cubed, seedless watermelon
- 1 cup of crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2 cup of thinly sliced red onion,
- 1/2 cup of coarsely chopped fresh basil OR mint
- Optional: 1 cup of chopped cucumber (one medium-sized)
Whisk together olive oil, red wine vinegar, and a pinch of salt and pepper. In a large bowl, combine the watermelon, feta, red onion and fresh herb. Gently combine the dressing over the watermelon mixture. Pour a glass of wine and enjoy!
Other additions include black Kalamata olives, pistachios, arugula and tomatoes.
More Scrumptious Watermelon Recipes
Salad is just one way to go on National Watermelon Day. You can utilize the same set of ingredients listed above to create lots of juicy red bites:
- Watermelon skewers: Planning a commercial event? Stack cubed feta and watermelon on toothpicks to create a quick appetizer or Hors d’Oeuvres.
- Watermelon pizza: For kids, make a fun “pizza” with watermelon slices and feta cheese on top.
- Grilled watermelon: If the grill is hot, don’t be afraid to throw watermelon slices on for a quick minute. The char will caramelize the melon and brings out its sweetness.
Celebrate National Watermelon Day With Help From Feeser’s
Happy National Watermelon Day! With Feeser’s providing all the fresh, frozen and brand-name ingredients you need for your restaurant or business, this joyous day will be one to remember. Reach out today to connect with a member of our team.